Positive Material Identification (PMI)
Positive Material Identification (PMI) is a nondestructive means of determining the chemical composition of metals. In a global sourcing environment, material can inadvertently be mixed up and cause serious issues while in service.
We can quickly and accurately determine the chemical composition of many different metals. We have several Innov-X Alpha Series X-ray fluorescence units and experienced technicians that can provide this service anywhere in the USA.
X-ray fluorescence (XRF) is the emission of characteristic "secondary" (or fluorescent) X-rays from a material that has been excited by bombarding with high-energy X-rays or gamma rays. The phenomenon is widely used for elemental analysis and chemical analysis, particularly in the investigation of metals, glass, ceramics and building materials, and for research in geochemistry, forensic science and archaeology.
- Beckhoff, B., Kanngießer, B., Langhoff, N., Wedell, R., Wolff, H., Handbook of Practical X-Ray Fluorescence Analysis, Springer, 2006, ISBN 3-540-28603-9
- Bertin, E. P., Principles and Practice of X-ray Spectrometric Analysis, Kluwer Academic / Plenum Publishers, ISBN 0-3063-0809-6
- Buhrke, V. E., Jenkins, R., Smith, D. K., A Practical Guide for the Preparation of Specimens for XRF and XRD Analysis, Wiley, 1998, ISBN 0-471-19458-1
- Jenkins, R., X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometry, Wiley, ISBN 0-4712-9942-1
- Jenkins, R., De Vries, J. L., Practical X-ray Spectrometry, Springer-Verlag, 1973, ISBN 0387910298
- Jenkins, R., R.W. Gould, R. W., Gedcke, D., Quantitative X-ray Spectrometry, Marcel Dekker, ISBN 0-8247-9554-7
- Van Grieken, R. E., Markowicz, A. A., Handbook of X-Ray Spectrometry 2nd ed.; Marcel Dekker Inc: New York, 2002; Vol. 29; ISBN 0-8247-0600-5
Certain RNDT personnel have been certified to the coveted European Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23 EC. This credential permits RNDT personnel to provide NDT services to clients that are manufacturing pressure equipment in accordance with the PED. RNDT is one of the few NDT providers in the USA that have been able to obtain this credential.
RNDT has hired four additional technician trainees to go through the RNDT NDT training program. This three year apprentice program developes a well rounded knowledge base that is required to effectively compete in the commercial testing industry.