When you work in an industry such as nondestructive testing, there is always new and improved technology to help us inspect numerous things. With new technology continuously being developed, it’s hard to pick the best device for inspecting. However, the most important tool to have for NDT is your eyes.
The humane eye is our best tool for a number of reasons. Here are some facts about your eyes that you may not know about. Your eye can see a burning candle from 14 miles away during the right conditions. Your eyes have about 107 million light sensitive cells and 7 million cones, which help define what you are seeing. They also have 100 million cells that equipped you with the ability to see better in the dark. You can try this: a blink takes 100-150 milliseconds; it is possible to blink 5 times within a second. Did you try it?
Because of all the cells and cones in your eye, we are able to see many different colors and can distinguish depth.
How to Protect Your Best Tool
As an NDT Technician, it is important to protect your most valuable tool. Here are some tips to do just that.
- The food you eat can help your vision. Make sure to eat plenty of leafy greens, oily fish, eggs, nuts, beans, citrus fruit, and oysters or pork.
- Quit smoking. When you smoke you run the risk of cataracts, optic nerve damage, and macular degeneration.
- Wear sunglasses. UV rays are harmful and can still affect you even when it’s cloudy out.
- Limit your time on devices. They can strain your eyes.
- Always, always use safety eyewear!
Doing routine maintenance on your tools is important, so make sure you take the time to care fore your eyes as well.
RNDT, Inc. is comprised of seasoned nondestructive testing and welding professionals who can handle many NDT and technical welding related needs that your organization may have.